In the 19th century under the direction of the gardener family Wendland numerous new greenhouses were built, including. The Palmenhaus, built in 1849 by Hofbaurat Laves, already housed the most valuable and species-rich palms collection in Europe five years later. In 1880, the Great Palm House was built by Richard Auhagen, a 30-meter-high glass and iron plant palace with galleries and water fountains.
During the Second World War, all the greenhouses were destroyed, but the traditional show garden was gradually rebuilt. In 2000, the Rainforest House (now Sea Life) was built as a replacement for the Great Palm House, under whose glass dome the diverse flora of the tropical rainforest can be admired.
May 23, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!