The Gothic Franciscan church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is one of the most important religious buildings in Venice. A first church on this site was built between 1250 and 1280, after the Minorites were given a piece of land as a building site by Doge Jacopo Tiepolo in 1236. In 1249, Pope Innocent IV approved 40 days' indulgence for donations to the new Frari Church. Due to the success of the order also had in the lagoon city, this 40 -meter-long church but already in 1340 gave way to a new building, which now has a different orientation than its predecessor. The old Franciscan church was probably used during the construction period. The existence of a cemetery in front of the portal of the old church is secured by archives.
September 15, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!