The castle was probably built by Messrs Lauterburg in the 12th century. Adalbert von Lauterburg was first mentioned in 1128. A new building was erected in the 13th to 14th centuries and the new Renaissance-style castle was built in 1594; it fell victim to a fire in 1732. The castle church was built in 1607 and is today a village church.
The Hohenstaufen, the Lords of Oettingen and the Barons of Woellwarth are named as owners. Today the ruin is privately owned.
Significant remnants of the surrounding walls are still preserved from the former castle complex, the outer bailey (75 × 25 meters) is accessible, the main bailey is not due to the risk of collapse. The ruin is increasingly left to decay and is overgrown by bushes and trees. The ruin has been a sight on the Staufer road since 1997.
May 4, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.