Dortmund main station is the most important station of the city of Dortmund and is ranked eleven of the most frequented long-distance stations of the German course with daily about 190,000 travelers. The intersection station on the northern edge of the city center has 16 platform tracks and is one of the 21 stations of the highest station category 1 of DB Station & Service.
Its origins are the Dortmund Central Station in the station of the "Cologne Minden Railway Company" (short CME because of the then spelling of Cologne), which was opened on May 15, 1847 north of the city center. Two years later, the Bergisch-Märkische Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft (BME) closed its station operated as a pure terminus station south to the existing station, where the main line to Elberfeld (now Wuppertal), the route to Soest (from 1855) and the Ruhrgebiet route followed Duisburg and Oberhausen (from 1860).
The original station building in insular position, with access from the castle gate, was replaced in 1910 by a spacious new building at the current location. The tracks were raised to end the obstruction of road traffic through restricted railroad crossings. This second Dortmund station was inaugurated on December 12, 1910 and was one of the largest in the German Reich at its opening. The station then received the name "Dortmund Hbf" on October 1, 1912.
May 1, 2017
An important hub for rail travelers and at the same time starting point for various cycling tours, for example. through the north and southeastern Ruhr area represents the Dortmund Hbf. Not very nice, with plenty of crowds on the platforms and underpasses, he fulfilled his purpose. A complete refurbishment is planned for the next years (probably 2024) and will hopefully improve the comfort for travelers as well as enhance the urban area around the station !?
October 2, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!