The 478 meter high "Weimar local mountain" was the preferred hunting area of the Weimar princes. Between 1706 and 1711, Duke Wilhelm Ernst had a simple three-winged hunting lodge built on the foundations of a canon monastery founded around 1084 and later an Augustinian monastery in Ettersburg. In the middle of the forest, a hunting star with ten dead straight aisles and a small rutting courtyard were laid out. One of the "avenues" led directly to the Old Castle and the Corps de Logis, which was completed around 1738. This New Palace, commissioned by Duke Ernst August, was surrounded by baroque parterres.
After her son Carl August took office in 1775, Anna Amalia chose Ettersburg Palace as her summer residence. A sizable “sensitive” park landscape was created around the building. The aging tulip tree in front of the rifle room is still impressive today.
January 18, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!