Hiking Highlight (Segment)
Information from Wikipedia:
First mention of the village in 1293; At that time it consisted of three farmsteads. In 1895, the industrialist Richard Toepffer acquired the "Aevermannschen Hof", a heath farm in need of renovation, in Lopau. Around 1900, the village had 123 inhabitants and a school. In 1922 the estate was sold to the state. In 1942, the Gauleiter Telschow received the farm and 40 ha. Land from the state as a gift. He built a bunker on the site, which is still preserved in parts today. In 1970, 62 people still lived in Lopau.  The estate Toepffers itself was demolished in 1978 by the Bundeswehr. The "Haus Schilling", named after a displaced person who lived here after the Second World War, the apartment of the overseer family at Toepffer's time, is today a home of the Waldjugend Munster. The former home of the forest workers (Alte Forstwartei) serves today as a working and residential building of the Federal Forestry Administration.
When shooting range 7 of the military training area Munster Nord was built in the early 1980s, Lopau fell into the security area and its inhabitants were resettled.
The original planning of the German Armed Forces to set up the shooting range near the edge of the village and to lead a Panzer Ring Road through the valley met with resistance from the regional population and led to the establishment of the Aktionsgemeinschaft Rettet das Lopautal. The commissioning of the shooting lane was delayed by more than ten years. The designation of the valley as a nature reserve failed because of the veto of the Bundeswehr. On the shooting range 7 the tanks may only drive on paved paths, so that the water in the headwaters of the Lopau is not polluted.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!