Incidentally, medieval hospitals bearing the name of the Holy Spirit have existed throughout Germany since the eighth century. They owe their origin to the Crusades: The increasing number of pilgrimages of the faithful to the Holy Sepulcher of Jesus gave rise to the construction of pilgrim houses in which sick and destitute pilgrims and other travelers were taken and fed. In this way, the former pilgrimage houses laid the foundation for the first social institutions of the Middle Ages in matters of health care and care for the elderly. The Lüneburg Hospital was founded in the 14th century and renovated and expanded in the 16th and 18th centuries. It also received its own chapel, which was canceled in the mid-19th century. Of the old plant is today very little to see - striking is the slender bell tower on the building, which received the Sunday bell of the neighboring St. Lambert Church in 1860, when the church was demolished because of dilapidated. The construction of St. Lambert's Church began according to recent soil research, as early as the 13th century.Source:
February 14, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!