The Tüschenbroich mill is the first mill on the Schwalm after the source and has an overshot water wheel, which was used to alternately drive two grain grinding courses.
The upstream mill pond is fed by several smaller rivulets in addition to the Schwalm. The first information about the compulsory mill belonging to Tüschenbroich Castle (ie the neighboring farmers were forced to have their grain ground here) dates from 1506. Until 1834 it was in the possession of the Counts of Spiering. The grinder that fell into disrepair today was used until the 1940s.
A tavern was connected in 1863 and is still used as a modern restaurant today. The licensing for this was granted to Mr. Wilhelm Gellissen by the royal government on December 29, 1862. In 1869, Johann Hermann Königs was given the license to serve beer.
The mill was placed under protection by the city of Wegberg on April 1, 1985 as a "restaurant and former watermill in Tüschenbroich" (serial number 119).
December 27, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.