In the late 13th century, the Hospital of the Holy Spirit was founded to give shelter to people in need, sick and elderly, mainly for members of the salt works. The hospital was quite wealthy as it was financed by the saline and even owned shares in the "pans".
At the beginning of the 14th century, a new building was built near the saltworks and the former St. Lamberti Church, which was demolished in 1586. At the same place, the first part and in 1724 the extension of today's elongated hospital building was built.
The former chapel of the Holy Spirit in the western part of the building had to be demolished in 1867; at this point a new building was built for the school. The well-preserved, slim roof turret from 1490 still adorns the roof of the school today.
The former narrow, pointed-arched window openings can still be seen on the outer walls of the Gothic building.
November 8, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.