komoot
  • Discover
  • Route planner
  • Features
Discover

Wupperfelder Markt

Wupperfelder Markt

Hiking Highlight

Recommended by 16 out of 19 hikers
  • Take Me There
loading

Tips

  • Siggi

    Nice place to stay.

    translated byView Original
    • October 19, 2020

  • Small market square in the Oberbarm area of Wupperfeld with a few international restaurants and a fountain in the center.wz.de/nrw/wupperfelder-markt-laedt-zu-einer-kulinarischen-weltreise-ein_aid-52175285The area of today's Wupperfeld was more heavily populated in the 18th century, the inhabitants were called "Wupperström". The settlement was promoted by the construction of a Lutheran church approved by the elector in 1777, which was put into service in 1781 - still unfinished. The Wupperströmers split off from the previously responsible parish in Wichlinghausen, which fought the new church as fiercely as the original mother parish in Schwelm. Because of the flourishing yarn weaving at the time, a patch quickly formed around the church, which was named Wupperfeld after the field on which it was created. With industrialization in the 19th century, Wupperfeld grew together with the district and Rittershausen to form the urban core of the city of Barmen. Today it is still the name of a suspension railway station and forms the western part of the Oberbarmen-Schwarzbach district. The church music activities achieved supraregional and even international fame: on the one hand through the Barmen-Gemarke Cantorei at the Immanuelskirche and on the other hand at the Old Church Wupperfeld through the Wupperfeld Evening Music, the Wupperfeld Kantorei, the C-music training center of the Rhineland Regional Church and as a music college location . In addition, the Carl-Duisberg-Gymnasium was located here for over a century, the main building of which is now a listed building.Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberbarmen#Wupperfeld

    translated byView Original
    • June 15, 2021

  • Sometimes a house design of the better kind, instead of the same colors of the "70s" years. Due to its appearance, the house is not only an eye-catcher from the Wupperfelder Markt - also in distant places such as Belverdere Park.

    translated byView Original
    • June 15, 2021

  • Der 21.Mai 1884 war der Tag vor Christi Himmelfahrt und der Tag, an dem Friedrich von Eynern als Vertreter der Wupperfelder Bürgerschaft den neuen Bleicherbrunnen feierlich in die Obhut der Stadt Barmen übergab. Oberbürgermeister Friedrich Wilhelm Wenger, Bürgermeister Johannes Gustav Brodzina, mehrere Stadtverordnete und eine große Menschenmenge nahmen an der Feier teil. Die nötigen Mittel (6000 Mark) hatten die Wupperfelder aus den Überschüssen der Vermietung des “Wupperfelder Bürgerhaus’ ” an der Wupperfelder Straße Nr.2 gewonnen. Die Entscheidung zur Errichtung des Brunnens durch die Verwaltung des Bürgerhauses wurde am 22.Juni 1883 getroffen, eine Idee, die erst durch die am 5.Mai 1883 erfolgte zentrale Versorgung Barmens mit Ruhrwasser durch das Wasserwerk Volmarstein ermöglicht wurde. Der Brunnen symbolisierte somit nicht nur für die Tradition der Bleicher, sondern auch die moderne städtische Wasserversorgung.Die Figur des Bleichers erinnert daran, dass das von Herzog Johann von Berg erteilte Privileg der Garnnahrung die Grundlage für die Entwicklung der blühenden Textilindustrie des Wuppertals war. Mit der Schaufel, “Güte“1genannt, schleuderten die Bleicher das Wupperwasser auf die zum Bleichen ausgelegten Tuche auf den Wupperwiesen. Den Rest der Arbeit übernahmen dann die Sonnenstrahlen.Den dreistufigen Bleicherbrunnen, bei dem von der Brunnensäule aus feinen Düsen das Wasser in die Schalen läuft, entwarf Stadtbaumeister Carl Winchenbach. Zusätzlich fließt aus den Mäulern der Delphine am unteren Teil Wasser in das unterste barocke Becken. Der Bleicher und die weiteren Steinmetzarbeiten wurden vom Hildesheimer Bildhauer Friedrich Küsthardt d.Ä. geschaffen.1884 befand sich der Standort des Brunnens auf der anderen Seite der Berliner Straße, die damals noch nicht so breit ausgebaut war wie heute. 1954 versetzte man den Brunnen im Zuge der Straßenbauarbeiten an seinen heutigen Standort auf dem Wupperfelder Markt. Die Kosten dafür übernahm die Firma Barthels-Feldhoff anlässlich ihres 125jährigen Bestehens. Thil. Barthels hatte sich schon 1884 für den Bau des Brunnens eingesetzt.Quelle: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2012/01/der-bleicherbrunnen-auf-dem.html

    • June 15, 2021

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Wupperfelder Markt

loading

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn More
  • Easy
    01:30
    3.53 mi
    2.4 mph
    175 ft
    175 ft
  • Intermediate
    03:15
    7.38 mi
    2.3 mph
    600 ft
    600 ft
  • Plan Your Own Tour
loading
Location: Bergisches Land, Germany

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Bergisches Land

loading