Bike Touring Highlight
The Nordsternpark is a landscape park on the site of the former coal mine Nordstern in Gelsenkirchen.After the decommissioning of the Nordstern mine in 1993, the premises were completely renovated and turned into a landscaped park. In 1997 the Federal Garden Show took place in the park. Through the Nordstern Park, which connects the Gelsenkirchen districts Horst and Hessler, the Rhein-Herne-Kanal and the Emscher.The park is part of the European Garden Heritage Network and the Route of Industrial Heritage.Furthermore, the Amphitheater Gelsenkirchen is located on the grounds of the Nordsternpark. Many events take place in the amphitheater, especially in spring and summer. Noteworthy events include the Rock Hard Festival, the Canal Festival, the Open Air Cinema, the Blackfield Festival, and concerts by various regional, national and international artists and bands.The peculiarities of the Nordsternpark* the integration of former colliery buildings into the landscape park,
* an open-air stage located on the Rhine-Herne Canal (Amphitheater Gelsenkirchen),
* three 18 meter high artificial climbing rocks
* a visitor's gallery of the Nordstern colliery and
* The German Express, the third largest Märklin railway in the world.
* several technically and artistically unusual suspension bridges over the Rhine-Herne Canal and the Emscher
* the Kinderland with large water playground
* The Hercules of Gelsenkirchen, a 18-meter high and 23-tonne sculpture by German artist Markus Lüpertz
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!