Bike Touring Highlight
The monastery Knechtsteden
is a former Premonstratensian abbey from the early 12th century, which has been in the possession of the Spiritan Order since 1896. It is located west of Dormagen near the village of Delhoven.
The monastery complex consists of a spacious area from which stand out the imposing gatehouse and the monastery basilica of St. Andrew. On the monastery grounds are also the Catholic Norbert Gymnasium and a restaurant. The monastery is surrounded by a recreational and nature reserve.
December 20, 2016
History of the monastery
1138-1181 The church was built in Romanesque style as a collegiate church of the Premonstratensian abbey.
1160 Completion of the valuable fresco in the Western Apse.
1474-1477 During the Neusser feud the Ostapsis suffered heavy damages, so that Abbot Ludger had it renewed in 1477 in gothic style.
1631 The church receives new roofs. At the same time, the highwalls walls and the transept gables were raised, and the gables of the Viertsturm were walled in horizontally.
1678-1698 The cultivation of today's house chapel.
17./18.Jh. The church is decorated several times in the Baroque style - of this baroque interior is now nothing left.
1801 Escape of the Premonstratensians before Napoleon's troops. Secularization of the monastery.
1869 A fire destroyed the monastery and the church.
1895 Purchase of the ruin by the Spirtanerpater Acker. Start of the reconstruction.
1896 religious consecration for the mission house.
from 1878 building associations had the church renewed and also eliminate fire damage to the fresco in the western apse. After a design by architect Wiethase, today's choir windows were also made.
1938 On the occasion of the eight-hundredth anniversary, the interior was redrawn on the basis of old traces of paint.
1941 dissolution by the Nazis
1950-1952 restoration of the fresco and the south portal was encased.
1962-1964 Essential for today's interior was the restoration.
During these measures, the choir was lowered and discovered the tomb of Albertus Aquensis (+ ca 1162), Dean of the Cologne Cathedral and provost of the Aacher Minster.
He completed the church out of his inheritance and other means, and built the three towers. In the fresco you can see his picture at the feet of Christ.
1967 Closure of the Philosophical-Theological University
1974 Because of its outstanding art historical importance and the centuries-old pilgrimage to the picture of grace, the church received the papal title "Basilika minor".
1986-1997 Extensive renovation of the basilica is made.
1996 The provincial council of the Spiritans is transferred to Knechtsteden.
April 29, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!