Bike Touring Highlight
The old town forms a triangle between the river and the wedge-shaped rock bar, creating a natural boundary on two sides. The houses are grouped around the wedge-shaped main square. The city fortification on the north side was not rebuilt after the city fire of 1840.
The old town is dominated by the narrow and elongated Felsriegel. On this is the fortress Aarburg. It was built at the beginning of the 12th century and was expanded during the Bernese rule into a mighty fortification. The building complex is classified as a cultural asset of national importance and today serves as a cantonal youth home.
On a terrace between the fortress and the old town is the Reformed church. It was built in Neo-Gothic style from 1842 to 1845 and has two steeples on the west side. Below the church leans on the rock spur to the 1726 built rectory; until the city fire of 1840, the city gate led through its basement.
September 23, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!