Bike Touring Highlight
The building was originally called Ullstein-Druckhaus to distinguish it from the other buildings of the Ullstein-Verlag in what was then the newspaper district on Kochstrasse (since 2008: Rudi-Dutschke-Strasse). The building was the seat of the then world-famous Ullstein publishing house and the location of its print shop for magazines and books.In 1934 the Nazi regime pressed the largest German publisher of the time from the Jewish publishing family at a ridiculous price and tried to erase the name Ullstein from the public consciousness: On May 3, 1935, the Ullsteinstraße adjacent to the Ullsteinhaus was renamed Zastrowstraße, this name remained until Exist February 21, 1949. In 1937 Ullstein became the "Deutsche Verlag" and the Ullsteinhaus was called "Deutsches Haus" until 1945.The Ullstein family got their property back in 1952. In the years 1956/1957, the part of the building on Ullsteinstraße, which originally only reached up to the second floor, was raised slightly and thus adapted to the other components. The Ullstein heirs sold larger blocks of shares in the company to the publisher Axel Springer until 1960. He sold the entire building soon afterwards, but had newspapers and magazines printed here until 1985.
Source: Wikipedia (excerpt) de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullsteinhaus
May 12, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!