Until 1933, the carillon pavilion was called the city pavilion because of its location facing the city. Only then was the porcelain carillon installed above the Sophientor.
Between 1933 and 1935 a simple monumental clock was added to the glockenspiel, so that today every quarter, half, three-quarters and full hour the chimes that Professor Günter Schwarze composed especially for it in 1994 can be heard.
Depending on the season, well-known melodies are played at set times.der-dresdner-zwinger.de/de/dresdner-zwinger/uebersicht
August 24, 2020
The construction of the bell pavilion in the Dresden Zwinger was completed in 1728, with the exception of the sculptures. Smaller work, however, continued until 1732. The structure was destroyed several times over the centuries. Among other things, it fell victim to a fire in the neighboring opera house in 1849, and the flames spread to the eastern part of the Zwinger. The scientific library was also affected by the fire. The entire Zwinger including the bell pavilion was badly damaged by the bombing raids in February 1945. The latter was rebuilt by 1955.
January 25, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.