The town hall in Pirna is a free-standing building in the middle of the market in the Renaissance style and was rebuilt in the Baroque style. An extension was made in the style of the German Neo-Renaissance. The Pirna town hall is essentially one of the oldest buildings in the city, it was first mentioned in 1386. After a fire, it was built in 1486 as a new building in late Gothic style; the main portal on the east side testifies to this. In the years 1555/1558 the three-storey building was fundamentally rebuilt by Wolf Blechschmidt. The distinctive Renaissance gables, the window walls and the cornices dividing the building have been preserved from this conversion.After another fire in 1581, the building was restored until around 1597. The Ratswaage lying in the west, probably from around 1600, received its gable in 1611/1612. In 1718 and in 1819 the roof rider over the east end of the south wing was renewed. For centuries, the town hall was more a commercial than an administrative building. It offered the butchers, bakers and clothiers fixed sales stands and rooms. It also housed the council chamber, archive and combing rooms. With the introduction of the Saxon city order (1832), the space requirements of the administration increased, so that the meat banks were broken up by Georg Aster in 1878 and replaced on the west and north side by an extension in the style of the Neo-Renaissance. Until the beginning of the 20th century, shops and stores were on the ground floor. The building was completely renovated in the course of the urban renewal between 1991 and 1997.
June 6, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.