48 hectare recreational lake west of Weißenstadt, in the saddle between Schneeberg and Waldstein; Completed in 1976; owned by the city Weißenstadt. It lies in the precipitation catchment area of Eger and Hirtenbach; Nominal accumulation height 613 m above sea level; largest accumulation depth 5 m. To realize the project an earth dam with clay core of about 6m height and 5,5m crown width was poured in a length of 1,5km. Only in the area of the drain concrete was installed. The normal drain is made by an adjustable pond monk, the flood discharge by adjustable shooters. Leisure activities: swimming, sailing, surfing, boating, fishing; Parking in the south and north, a 4 km long trail leads around the lake. In the northern area there is a bird sanctuary.
By 1820, there already existed an artificially created artificial lake, the origin of which dates back to the year 1350. 1476 it is mentioned in a document in the city liberty letter of Weißenstadt, 1499 in the land register of the Sechsämter as "large pond" with 150 day work. He belonged to the sovereign and served as the "main pond" of fish farming. The fishing took place every two years in late October, with the emptying lasting a week. A mounted messenger had to inform the places lying on the Eger about the expected large water surge.
May 17, 2015
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!