Anyone who once wanted or had to go from the Vorderen-Rhön or the Amt-Sand to the town of Meiningen crossed the Herpf on an arched stone bridge above the town of Walldorf.
Mainly the wagoners were dependent on this main crossing. What could be more natural to raise a bridge toll? For this purpose there was a small customs house on the right hand side downstream. A small cutting mill was operating about 100 meters below.
Before the carters tackled the steep mountain called the "Brückenküpel" on their way to Meiningen, they took a short break. This resting place may have been the reason for the creation of a rest house, which later developed into an inn for the "bridge mill".
About 200 years ago, beer and brandy were probably licensed. A study by the well-known court painter Carl Wagner, which he drew around 1840, shows a covered terrace in a beautiful wooden structure on the east side. In the background you can see Landsberg Castle, which was completed by this time. On the other side of the street, where today there is a beautiful excursion and dining establishment with a hall, there was only a bowling alley at that time. This shows that the bridge mill was a popular place for young people.
Source and more: restaurant-brueckenmuehle.de/historie
August 6, 2021
Our family-run country inn is located approx. 4 km from Meiningen. Let yourself be seduced by traditional Thuringian cuisine as well as original Italian pizzeria.
Our homemade Thuringian dumplings are a real insider tip.
The Brückenmühle has always been recommended as an ideal starting point and destination for hikes.
February 25, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!