Location and history: The Bismarck Tower Stuttgart in the Stuttgart district Am Bismarck Tower in Stuttgart-North stands on the highest point in Stuttgart-North, the Gähkopf (409.5 m above sea level), and offers a good view of the Stuttgart city area and a distant view of all Cardinal points.
The tower is now looked after by the Killesberg und Umgebung e.V.
The construction of the tower was initiated in May 1899 by the student body at the Technical University of Stuttgart. It was financed by donations that were supported by student campaigns. There were also significant individual donations, for example from Adolf von Kröner. The foundation stone was laid in November 1902. The site manager was the architect Karl Heim and the builder Heinrich Nagel.
The tower is 20 m high and, like many other Bismarck towers, was built according to the award-winning “Götterdämmerung” design by the architect Wilhelm Kreis. The building material is Keuper sandstone. A square fire bowl with a side length of 1.5 m was placed on the top of the tower. A mixture of tar and kerosene was burned in this fire bowl. The fire was supplied with air through an ingenious system of pipes, which led to a flame height of 3 to 5 m. It was kindled on Bismarck's birthday, the anniversary of his death and the day the Reich was founded. From 1928 the Bismarck Tower was given a new function as a water tower.
The tower was opened on July 16, 1904 and assigned to the city of Stuttgart.
In the run-up to its 100th birthday, it was extensively renovated in 2001
September 21, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.