Bike Touring Highlight
"Male visitors are only allowed to enter with headgear on"The new Jewish cemetery is not as new as the name would suggest. In fact, it was founded in 1866. The death hall also dates from this year, but had to be rebuilt after the war due to damage caused by the bombing in 1945. Many graves were also destroyed. The structure of the cemetery is very modern. In contrast to the old Jewish cemetery, the central orientation of the graves to the east is missing and urn burials were also permitted. The cemetery remained open during the Nazi era, which can also be seen from the burial dates. After the war, the hall of the dead initially served as a replacement for the synagogue destroyed in the November programs. The Star of David of the old synagogue, which was recovered from the rubble, adorned the hall of the dead for a long time, which has been performing its original function since 2002. Today he is in the new synagogue. Georg Arnhold, founder of the Arnhold Bad, is also buried here. In front of the mortuary there is a memorial to the Jewish victims of the First World War. Behind the hall is a memorial to 20 Jews murdered by fascists from 1933-1945. There is also a special grave for vandalized Torah scrolls.Bacteriologist Heinrich Conradi, Robert Koch's long-time employee, is also buried in the cemetery. From 1913 he was a private lecturer at the technical university before he lost his job in November 1935. In 1940 he had to move as a Zeiss Ikon forced laborer to a Jewish house in Dresden. In 1943 he was arrested for buying radishes and illegally entering the market hall on Antonsplatz. On April 26, 1943, he died in the police headquarters. It is not clear whether he was murdered or committed suicide.
May 4, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.