Bike Touring Highlight
The church ruins at this point are the "Old Zion Church". It is not that old, however, because it was only built between 1908 and 1912. And that with the latest equipment at the time. It had the first electric organ in Saxony, an innovative product from the traditional company Jehmlich. The complex is also modern as a central building with the pulpit in the middle and rising tiers similar to a Roman amphitheater. The design comes from Schilling & Gräbner. The Protestant church was financed by a Roman Catholic factory owner, who bequeathed his fortune to the city of Dresden under these conditions. The mentality in this church was also different, because the pastors in office during the Nazi era consistently represented an attitude critical of the regime. In Dresden this was by no means a matter of course.
All the more tragic is the destruction of the church in February 1945, just over 30 years after its consecration. The Zionskirche is one of the 19 churches that were destroyed in Dresden during the war. All that remained was a burned-out ruin. Services were initially held in a barrack that lasted just as long as the church. Finally the community exchanged the ruins for a new area on which the “New Zion Church” was built with Swedish support. Since then the ruin has served as a lapidarium for the city of Dresden. Many fragments of old Dresden are stored here, but also socialist sculptures that were removed from the streets after reunification. This is by no means a terminus. Where possible, old preserved fragments are reintegrated into new buildings. There are many properties, especially on Neumarkt. A visit is possible after prior registration or on the “Open Monument Day”.
May 2, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.