Road Cycling Highlight
HISTORICAL OLD CITY
Weikersheim can look back on more than 1160 years of history. The place on the Romantic Road was first mentioned in 837 at the time of the Frank King Ludwig the Pious in a deed of donation from the Fulda monastery. At that time, Weikersheim was still called "Wighartesheim".
The noble gentlemen Konrad and Heinrich von Weikersheim, who were first mentioned around 1153 and later called Hohenlohe, later gave their name to an entire landscape.
Weikersheim was probably granted city and fortification rights around 1314 by an imperial document from Ludwig from Bavaria.
It was allowed to hold markets and build a city wall.
A few years later, city towers and the waiting tower were built to the city wall.
April 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.