Road Cycling Highlight
The late fourteenth century castle was originally behind the still existing staircase tower that was built in the fifteenth century. In front of the tower was a square, surrounded by a wall with loopholes. Here was also a fortified gatehouse with a drawbridge. The whole was surrounded by canals.In 1621 Nieuw-Herlaar was mentioned as: Nyent-Herlaer, 't hoff tot nyent-Herlaer with its bijvanghe, even as it is situated everywhere between the stupid aldaer fluke.In 1736 it was reported: Nieuw-Herlaer on the east side of the demolished hall with the cellar under the demolished hall, surrounded with its gragt and the river Dommel, with courtyards, orchard, stables, barn, the right of the fishery, fish pond inden courtyard, capelle, brewery and bequame houses daeraen, surrounded by hedges and plantations.In 1791 the old castle was demolished by order of Van Bonstetten and the current one was built on the other side of the tower. They spoke of a very old and dilapidated building, and Stephanus Hanewinkel reported: Mr. Bonstetten had it demolished and instead of it set up a modern buyten house, being not of the old castle, which was a fortress, remaining as the tower.Further expansions took place from 1799, when the castle became a seminary. The destinations after that also required many renovations. After the departure of the Catholic institutions in 1970, the castle fell into disrepair again, but after 1978 the castle was restored and most of the outbuildings, except for the Nunnery, were demolished.
April 6, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.