Bike Touring Highlight
The Greetsieler church was built in two stages between 1380 and 1410 as a self-church of the chief Haro Edzardsna in the style of Gothic. In 1401, long before its final completion, the church was replaced by Pope Boniface IX. approved. The hall church dedicated to St. Mary of Brick was then part of the diocese of Münster until the Reformation. Under the rule of Count Edzard II was an annex. As with many East Frisian churches, the brick belfry stands apart from the church proper. During a tour of the Greetsieler church, the strong side slopes of the church walls stand out.
The church has a roof rider fitted with a clock and a bell above the eastern gable, at the top of which is a special ship's weather vane made of gilded copper. The weather vane dates from the years around 1730 and has the shape of a three-masted hanger with set square sails. According to the church, it is the oldest ship weather vane in Lower Saxony.
The church in Greetsiel attained in the beginnings of real estate cadastre in East Frisia (about 1870) a special importance for cadastral surveying. Exact cadastral maps were the basis for the fair taxation of land. In Ostfriesland, therefore, a trigonometric point of Gaussian triangulation was defined as the zero point of a separate coordinate system in each of the three counties of the time. For the district of Emden, this zero point was the spire of the Church Greetsiel. The coordinate system was only replaced after 1945 with the production of new cadastral maps by the Gauss-Krüger coordinate system.
January 22, 2017
The leaning tower of Suurhusen is a church tower in the East Frisian village of Suurhusen, municipality of Hinte, which is considered the most inclined tower in the world. He belongs to the Protestant Reformed parish Suurhusen-Marienwehr.
At a height of 27.37 meters, the tower on the ridge has an overhang of 2.47 meters, which corresponds to an inclination of 5.19 degrees. With this information he stands as a record holder for not deliberately obliquely built buildings in the Guinness Book of Records.
March 6, 2017
In the 14th century, landing in the Krummhörn, the northwestern tip of East Frisia, made it necessary to build a new port. Around 1400, the fishing village received a church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, probably built as a private church by the chief Haro Edzardisna. It was built in two stages and was consecrated in 1401, according to tradition. The windows and doors of the simple, rectangular building with the belfry standing apart were partly bricked up, partly considerably enlarged. The latter, together with the inadequate foundation of the structure, may have contributed to the fact that the walls are alarming to the outside. Above the Renaissance portal in the west is the coat of arms of the chief family Cirksena, who ruled over Ostfriesland as counts and princes. The right coat of arms is that of the Swedish royal family. These coats of arms were attached there, when a Cirksena married 1559 a Swedish Königstocher. On the roof ridge in the east gable is the oldest church weather vane of Lower Saxony (around 1700). Through a later built entrance you enter the church room with a mirrored ceiling, which replaced the wooden ceiling in 1852. Around the baroque pulpit of 1669 the simple church stalls are grouped together. This order shows that today people of Protestant-Reformed faith gather for worship in this church. A gravestone of bluestone once covered the grave of J.M. Knoonerus, who fled the Palatinate for religious reasons, was a preacher in Greetsiel for 39 years. The organ prospectus (1738) comes from Johann Freidrich Constabel from Wittmund, who built organs in Ostfriesland from 1730-1762. The organ was rebuilt in 1963 by the organ builder Karl Schunke from Berlin.
August 30, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.