Bike Touring Highlight
A granite stone donated by the Eppendorfer Bürgerverein was placed here in 1990 for the 850th birthday of the district. The bust of Samuel Heinicke sits enthroned on a solid stone base directly at the southern entrance to the Seelemannpark. It represents the link between the green area and the neighboring St. Johannis Church in Eppendorf, because here the educator, as the founder of the "German Method" of deaf pedagogy, was able to gain a high level of awareness. The monument was inaugurated in 1895, but initially stood a few meters away on the corner of Heinicke and Ludolfstrasse until it finally got its current place. When Heinicke came to Hamburg with his wife and son in 1758, he had already undergone self-taught training and also taught a deaf boy in spoken language as a teacher of writing and music. In Hamburg he served from 1760 to 1768 as the court master and private secretary to the Danish treasurer Heinrich Carl von Schimmelmann. He then went to the St. Johannis Church in Eppendorf, where he worked as a schoolmaster and cantor for ten years and taught deaf students with the teaching method he had developed.de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Heinicke
March 1, 2020
Between the St. Johannis monastery and the St. Johannis church in Eppendorf, directly on the Alster, there is a small hidden patch of green, the Seelemannpark. It was once part of the large property of the Seelemann family, which also had a hospitable country house here, but which was demolished around 1906.
Today, the public green area is ideal for a short break from everyday stress. From Heilwigstraße you suddenly dive into the park, which essentially consists of a large lawn with a few scattered trees. Nevertheless, the Seelemannpark has its very own atmosphere, ideal for switching off and relaxing. It is delimited to the street by a small hornbeam hedge; on the other side of the street, the closed clinker brick facade gives a protective impression. On the opposite side, the silver ribbon of the Alster flows slowly. You can sit on one of the benches by the water to rest or make yourself comfortable in the shade of the trees in the meadow. In addition to beautiful old chestnuts, there is also a powerful double sycamore. There is a small playground for children under the protection of the chestnuts.hamburg.de/parkanlagen/3116842/seelemannpa
March 1, 2020
The block of flats was started in 1923 on Heilwigstrasse with large apartments, continued on Kellinghusenstrasse in 1925 with medium-sized apartments and completed in 1936 with smaller apartments Faaßweg 4-6 according to the concept of the 1920s.
According to Fritz Schumacher's urban planning concept relating to park and water, the buildings are decorated in an expressionistic manner according to the different efforts involved or follow the new building with traditionalist details.
The buildings are listed.
March 1, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.