Bike Touring Highlight
The Cailhau Gate stands on the Palace Square on the river side. Located between the mouths of the two main rivers of Bordeaux, the Peugue (course of Alsace and Lorraine) and Devèze (street of the Currency), it was the main entrance in the city since the port. It gave access to the Palace of the Ombrière, residence of the dukes of Guyenne, then seat of the Parliament of Bordeaux from 1462. At the time, the vertical docks did not exist. The bank sloped down towards the river and it was light boats that unloaded ships anchored in the river. The name of the tower means pebble (calhau in gascon). It was given to the gently sloping quay situated between the two rivers, which was called the Quai da Caillau (Pebble) because, because of its usefulness, it was the first to be paved with pebbles of river. (...) This door being placed in front of the Quai du Caillaü, naturally took this name. »Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cailhau_Port
October 25, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!