"... There were up to four hammers here: the Bollenhammer, the Rottsiepershammer, the Schliepershammer and the Steffenshammer, which is the only one that is still fully functional and can be viewed on a few Saturdays as a branch of the German Tool Museum-Historical Center.
There are several parking spaces for hikers in the village at the entrance to the historic Gelpe Valley industrial history trail. ... "
November 16, 2020
The forge hammer was built in 1746 instead of an older predecessor. In addition to the production of tools and small hardware items, refining steel, a high-quality tool steel of its time, was forged there. The hammer, as a tail hammer with a wooden "four-in-hand" hammer, is the only functional Bergischer water hammer that still has the original design from the 18th century. The hammer was in operation by the Steffens family until 1928 and was then used for occasional work until 1958.Then the city of Remscheid took it over and it served the German Tool Museum as a branch for exhibition purposes. At the beginning of 2009, the Steffenshammer e.V., as a support association for historical forging technology, acquired the hammer in order to keep it open to the public.
May 13, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!