Kat Davis (@FollowingTheArrows) and Sarah Williams (@ToughGirlChallenges) having never met, embarked on the challenging and rugged Lycian Way hike in southern Turkey over November/December 2019. Wild-camping at every opportunity, they experienced Turkish hospitality and delicious local cuisine in the occasional pension. Kat and Sarah battled the heat, rain, storms, dehydration and mosquitoes to complete the trail in 23 days.
🇹🇷 10th November - Fethiye to Ölüdeniz 🇹🇷
🥾First day walking with full packs. A little heavier than the Camino as having to carry a tent (@terranovaequipment), an air mattress (@thermarest) plus food and about 2 litres of water (water is heavy to carry!). I’d say all in my pack weights... 13kg…
🇹🇷11th November 🇹🇷
🥾First official day on the Lycian Way - we were staying about a 5 min walk from the trail head gate. After an interesting breakfast (you’ll have to watch my Instagram stories 😂😂) it was start time!
⛰ The first section was very rocky and lots of uphill climbing the trail narrows…
Get recommendations on the best single tracks, peaks, & plenty of other exciting outdoor places.
🇹🇷12th November 🇹🇷
8hr 19 mins walking
Uphill 780 m
Downhill 590 m
Average speed 3.7 km
⛰Lots of steep descents and ascents as we left the village, passing large rockslides and walking through forests, pine needles on the floor and blue skies out to sea.
🥾Focused hiking today, lots of…
🇹🇷Lycian Way - Day 4 - 13th November 🇹🇷
Today was a tough day on the trail, so many ups and downs, going over rock slides and crossing rock fields.... small rocks, medium rocks, large rocks! All the rocks!!!
It can be a little demoralising when you’ve walked all day from sunrise to sunset and you…
Rained all day - none stop. A lot of road walking very flat terrain.
Thank you Mike! 😀👍
🇹🇷Tuesday, 19th November - Day 10 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
* From: wild camped 8k from Gökceören to a pension in Kaş
* Weather: sunny!
* Distance: 13.2 miles / 21.2 km
* Ascent / descent: 1,775 ft / 3,575 ft
* Accom: Pension in Kaş - with balcony & city views at night.
* Total cost: Pension 75TRY, washing…
🇹🇷Wednesday, 20th November - Day 11 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
* From: Kas to Boğazcık
* Weather: sunny ☀️
* Distance: 14.3 miles / 23km
* Ascent / descent: 2,300ft / 1,350ft
* Accom: slept on a couch 🛋
* Total cost: 2 cokes 12TRY, sleeping 20TRY, Food (omelet, chips & bread) 25TRY
👚 We left Kas with…
🇹🇷Thursday, 21st November - Day 12 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
* From: Boğazcık camping/couch to Demre
* Weather: sunny 22 degrees (it seemed a lot hotter!)
* Distance: 23.5km walked - travelled by boat 11.8km - total 35.3km
* Ascent / descent: 290m / 580m
* Accom: Pension Kent.
* Total cost: Boat ride…
🇹🇷 Friday, 22nd November - Day 13 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
⛰Day 1 in the mountains - Dropped off at Belos Ruins and walked to Alkalise ruins
⏰ We were up at 6.30, dressed and in the car for 7am. It would take about an hour to drive to the start point at Belos Ruins. This was the highest point of the…
🇹🇷 Saturday, 23rd November - Day 14 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
Day 2 in the mountains ⛰
* From: Demre to Alkalise
* Weather: sunny - just about!
* Distance: 9.26 miles
* Ascent / descent: 3,475ft / 600ft
* Accommodation: Pension
* Total cost: collection from the ruins 150TRY, accommodation & dinner 170TRY…
🇹🇷 Sunday, 24th November - Day 15 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
* From: Belos Ruins to just outside Mavikent
* Weather: sunny ☀️
* Distance: 17.5 miles / 28 km
* Ascent / descent: 300ft / 3,200 ft
* Accom: wild camping - free 😀
* Total cost: cafe break 62TRY (coffee, hot chocolate, pastries, tea), resupply…
I’m using a Water-to-go bottle that has a filter inside and have been using this for all water that we collect along the way; nothing has really been drinkable without being treated first. My pack is 10kg excluding food & water and I’m usually carrying a minimum of 2.2l of water. 😊
🇹🇷 Monday, 2nd December - Day 23 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
This will be our official last day on the Lycian Way. We are now in Adrasan and ready to do the final section! The lighthouse!
We had a leisurely Turkish breakfast at 8.30am and left around 10 ish. It was a glorious day, the sun was shinning…
🇹🇷 Wednesday , 27th November - Day 18 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
Finally back walking again!! It felt good to get up and get moving. The start of the walk was well marked and it was nice trails to follow. We were making our way to the Olympos Ruins! The Lycian Way runs right through them!
🥾 Today from…
🇹🇷 Thursday , 28th November - Day 19 - Lycian Way, Turkey 🇹🇷
- Wild camped 6k past Çıralı to wild camped 6k before Çamyuva.
- 15.32 miles / 24.6 km
I can’t believe we’ve been on the trail for so long. The days are all starting to merge together! I’m so glad I’ve been recorded it on my GoPro and can…
Bike Touring Collection by Vincent Reboul
Hiking Collection by Marika Abbà
Bike Touring Collection by Baden-Württemberg
Hiking Collection by Julien Harté