Pack a trailer, child seat or cargo bike and off you go! There are many ways to take the youngest members of the family on a cycling Tour, even if the little ones may not yet be able to pedal themselves. Spending time together outdoors is good for your physical and mental health, as well as being environmentally friendly at the same time. All of this makes cycling the perfect means of transport for the whole family. You’ll experience unforgettable moments together in the saddle. For example, when your child romps around in the meadow at the first rest stop, gets to know the animals in the petting zoo or puts their little feet in the bathing lake.
SUITABLE BIKE TOURS WITH THE LITTLE ONES
In this Collection, we've put together 20 short cycling Tours that are perfect for young families. You can take your child on these adventures once they’re about one year old. These routes, which explore Salzburger Land, are 10 to 39 kilometres (6 to 24 mi) long. Often, you cycle along rivers and beautiful lakes, where splashing around and throwing stones by the shore is fun for young and old alike.
Since you are either travelling with a trailer, a cargo bike with a baby car seat or a child seat, we have placed special emphasis on ensuring that the Tours are mostly on flat paths. If you have an e-bike or strong calves, you can also tackle the longer Tours. This Collection mainly consists of one-way tours, but there are a few loops too. The advantage of the one-way tours with the same outward and return route is that you can turn back at any time if it gets too much for your child. Shortcuts and extensions are also possible on many of these rides.
As well as this, we’ve made sure that there are plenty of opportunities to rest and have planned interesting stops, such as an ostrich farm, giant excavators, petting zoos, adventure playgrounds and farms. Speaking of which, it's a well-known fact that fresh and local food tastes best. That's why we've picked out well-stocked and lovingly run organic food shops, farm-gate sellers and weekly markets that you can visit during the Tours. These stops are Ideal for filling your backpack ready for a delicious picnic at a scenic spot in the great outdoors.
All the Tours are accessible by bike, car or train. You’ll find more information in the individual Tour descriptions.
OUR TIPS FOR YOUR CYCLING TOUR WITH SMALL CHILDREN
Cycling with small children can be challenging, but cycling through nature with your little ones and spending hours together in the fresh air is simply priceless. To get you started on the right foot, we've put together five tips for your outdoor adventure.
1. Don't plan routes that are too ambitious. Venture out cautiously as a family and see what length and type of Tour suits you best.
2. If you’re travelling in summer, it’s best to start your Tour in the morning so that you are not out in the midday heat. You can then make the most of this time to take a long break.
3. You don't need any special equipment to feed your baby on the trail. Breastfeeding is the most practical as you don't really need to think about anything else. If you're bottle-feeding, that's easy too. Take enough clean bottles with you, fill small containers with the correct amount of milk powder from Milupa and fill two thermos flasks with water: one with hot, boiled water and one with cold water. On the way, use a small thermometer (a new, clean thermometer works perfectly) to find the right mixture of hot and cold. It's best to practise the mixture at home, then it’ll work even faster when you're on the road. If your little one prefers to eat milk porridge already, that's no problem either. Instead of bottles, fill small fresh-keeping tins with the right amount of Milupa milk porridge powder for one meal and pour on water during the snack break. Fresh fruit and vegetables from the markets or farm shops are also available for young and old. Of course, don't forget to pack plenty of water.
4. Make sure that, depending on the weather and season, there are suitable rest areas or inns along the way. Then you don't need to worry about a lack of refreshment facilities. Otherwise, no special infrastructure is necessary, especially in summer. If you are out and about with your child, any meadow can be used as a changing table. It's best to always have a cosy blanket with you.
5. In principle, cycling Tours with children, whether with a trailer or a child seat (front seat), are only possible from the age of 10 to 12 months, when the child can sit upright safely. Alternatively, a trailer with a baby hammock can be used earlier. A cargo bike with a baby car seat is another option. Your child will sit safely and comfortably and you can keep an eye on him or her the whole time. You can rent such bikes from many bike rental companies. Last but not least, we give you a tip for longer Tours with a trailer: if it has two seats, one bigger child can take care of the smaller one - so it's guaranteed that boredom won’t take over on the road.
If you’re well prepared, you can fully enjoy the surroundings and have a wonderful outing in the countryside with your little ones. We wish you lots of fun and you’ll see that along with your children you’ll get to know the natural world in a whole new way and collect unforgettable memories.
The contents of the cycling Collection were provided by komoot.
The Mondsee is an incredibly beautiful lake in the Upper Austrian Salzkammergut. Because its southern bank forms the border between Upper Austria and the Salzburger Land, we definitely wanted to include its circumnavigation in this collection. Because this is an experience that you will definitely not…
Every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. there is a weekly market in the heart of St. Gilgen with small delicacies from the region. The perfect opportunity to grab your bike, kids and cones and head out into the picturesque Salzkammergut. Because here cycling is a real pleasure!
This tour starts in Strobl…
Get recommendations on the best single tracks, peaks, & plenty of other exciting outdoor places.
Wonderful nature, a ride on the ferry across Lake Wolfgang and a delicious ice cream at the end - that's what awaits you and your companion on this bike tour. Perfect for a relaxed family outing on a beautiful summer's day, because there are many opportunities to refresh yourself in the picturesque lake…
During this tour you cycle from the Bavarian border to the heart of the Mozart city of Salzburg. A wonderful route that almost always leads you along the Salzach and offers several opportunities right at the beginning to provide you with culinary (organic) treasures from the region - perfect for a stopover…
A scenic and culturally beautiful bike tour takes you from the heart of the Mozart city to the Rifer Spitz and back again. The tour begins at a parking lot in the Nonntal district of Salzburg, which you can reach either by car or public transport (alternatively, you can of course extend the tour by almost…
The picturesque Bluntautal near Golling an der Salzach is a wonderful place and an absolute must-see when traveling with children. The path between the mighty mountains to the lake runs beautifully flat - this makes the tour suitable for all levels of endurance. You can also have a wonderful picnic at…
The Tauernradweg leads passionate cyclists from Krimml to Passau and is ideal as a summer adventure due to its diversity. On this tour you will get to know a part of it: You cycle from the charming Kuchl to the Mozart city of Salzburg.
In Kuchl you get off the S-Bahn and then start cycling straight out…
The Enns cycle path is considered one of the most beautiful cycle paths in the Alps. It covers a distance of up to 280 kilometers from Flachauwinkl through the Schladming-Dachstein holiday region and the Gesäuse National Park to Enns. On this tour you can explore a 13-kilometer stretch of it. You start…
If you are traveling between August 11th and 13th, 2023 in the beautiful Pinzgau region of Salzburg and you are a fan of regional, sustainable organic products, then the Hinterglemm farmers' market should be a fixed point on your agenda. But you can also stock up on culinary specialties from the Salzburg…
The Tauern Cycle Path is a long-distance cycle path that runs in two different variants, either around 270 or 320 kilometers through the Austrian federal states of Salzburg and Upper Austria. On this section you follow it from the charming Krimml to Mittersill. A nice family route, not least because…
You should only do the Kesselfall tour, which leads from the heart of Kaprun to the Alpenhaus Kesselfall and back again, if you like to be a little more sporty. A mountain bike (possibly even an e-mountain bike) and the appropriate equipment for your younger companion are a must here. But the scenic…
Lake Zell and its surrounding region cast a spell over thousands of visitors. The reasons for this are obvious: Here you can go hiking as well as cycling. Especially if you are traveling with the kids, because there are plenty of worthwhile stops along the way with playgrounds, idyllic rest areas and…
On this tour you follow a section of the Tauern Cycle Path and the Alpe Adria Cycle Path from Schwarzach im Pongau to Werfen with its impressive castle. Both places have a train station, which is why you can easily arrive and depart by S-Bahn.
In Schwarzach you can make a short detour to the center right…
The Gastein Valley is known for many things. Part of this is definitely the many opportunities to pursue cycling here. By mountain bike high up in the alpine pastures or relaxed through the valley, as in the case of this tour: you cycle almost 19 kilometers from the train station in Bad Gastein through…
This bike tour takes you across the Großarltal, also known as the "Valley of the Alms". At the end you reach the end of the valley with the picturesque Ötzlsee, a Kneipp facility and idyllic places to rest and have a picnic. A wonderful experience for the whole family.
Depending on your condition and…
A landscape straight out of a picture book: the Jägersee at the end of the Kleinarl valley promises real Canadian feelings. Here swans swim through the crystal clear water and the mountains that frame it are incredibly beautiful to look at. On this tour you cycle directly to the shore of the Jägersee…
The diverse Mur Cycle Path runs for around 450 kilometers from the Hohe Tauern National Park to the south-east of Styria. A small part of it is still in the Salzburger Land, in the beautiful Lungau, to be exact. This tour - from Tamsweg to St. Michael im Lungau and back - lets you get to know what is…
A section of the well-known Mur Cycle Path, which leads from Salzburg's Lungau to the south-east of Styria, has a few special features not only for landscape fans, but also for children: On the way from Tamsweg to Ramingstein and back there are many colorful legends and myths wayside. There are also…
The Lungau is known for its wonderfully untouched landscape. A tour on which you can experience it particularly well is this: wonderful paths take you through the breathtaking mountains of the Göriachbach valley to the mountain hut village of the same name. An experience for which you should bring some…
Maria Alm at the foot of the mighty Hochkönig is always worth a visit. Cyclists in particular like to come here. With a mountain bike and the appropriate equipment for your smaller companion, this tour is particularly worth seeing and cycling.
The Kronreith tour takes you through the beautiful landscape…
Bike Touring Collection by Innradweg
Bike Touring Collection by Ben
Road Cycling Collection by komoot
Hiking Collection by Vakantie in Oostenrijk